Picture of Michael Anzalone

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Injuries

Poisoning from carbon monoxide is common. Symptoms may entail nausea, headache, confusion, and drowsiness. The basis of the diagnosis is through blood tests.

Efficient venting of furnaces and various indoor combustion sources, carbon monoxide detectors, and not permitting an automobile to operate in a closed garage, or enclosed space can prevent poisoning from carbon monoxide.

Medical treatment includes high concentrations of oxygen and fresh air, at times with the use of a high pressure oxygen chamber.

Colorless, tasteless, and odorless, when inhaled, carbon monoxide can prevent blood from transporting oxygen, and prevent the effective use of oxygen in the tissues.

Poisoning occurs if carbon monoxide blood levels become high, although small amounts are typically not fatal.

After several hours, carbon monoxide can disappear from bloodstream.

Carbon monoxide can be found in fire smoke, namely when fuel combustion is not complete.

If vented improperly, gas heaters, hot water heaters, furnaces, automobiles, stoves, kerosene heaters, and charcoal briquette and wood stoves can cause poisoning from carbon monoxide.

When the exhaust pipe, for example, of a running vehicle is blocked by snow piled up or another object, levels of carbon monoxide can emerge rapidly inside the vehicle, which can be hazardous.

The inhalation of tobacco smoke can produce carbon monoxide in the bloodstream, but normally not enough to cause certain symptoms.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Mild poisoning of carbon monoxide can cause dizziness, nausea, vomiting, headache, drowsiness, poor coordination, and difficulty to concentrate. Individuals who develop mild poisoning from carbon monoxide experience quick recovery once placed in fresh air.

Moderate or critical carbon monoxide poisoning results in confusion, chest pain, impaired judgment, low blood pressure, coma, seizures, shortness of breath, and unconsciousness.

Many victims, therefore, must be rescued because they are unable to move themselves.

Catastrophic carbon monoxide poisoning is almost always fatal. After clear recovery from this type of poisoning, usually weeks later, symptoms include poor coordination, depression, memory loss, disorders in movement, developing psychosis.

Carbon monoxide is hazard because an individual may not detect drowsiness as being a poisoning symptom.

An individual, consequently, with mild carbon monoxide poisoning can fall asleep, and continue breathing in carbon monoxide until the occurrence of catastrophic poisoning, or even death.

Individuals with extensive, mild poisoning of carbon monoxide caused by heaters or furnaces may confuse their symptoms for other illnesses, such as viral infections or the flu.

If you sustained injuries or have carbon monoxide poisoning, you will need immediate legal and medical assistance.

You should see your physician immediately, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room. It is crucial to install a carbon monoxide detector, of course, which is in proper working order.

Likely defendants in cases of carbon monoxide poisoning include landlords, hotels, and inn owners.

A carbon monoxide detector with defects may be the manufacturer’s fault.

Maintenance companies and/or home builders may be at fault directly for sustained injuries from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Contact us for a free consultation or call Anzalone Law Firm PLLC, at: 603.548.3797.

Client Reviews
Great lawyer...Professional, organized, caring and effective. Michael is very informative and was always willing to explain the reasons behind what was being done. Can't say enough about how helpful he was every step of the way. It was really nice to feel like I actually understood what was going on with my case. Catherine Veilleux