When a mother-to-be prepares for her delivery day, the last thing on her mind is that her unborn child might get injured while giving birth. Unfortunately, sometimes during the birthing process, a baby can get injured.Causes of Birth Injuries
A birth injury is also known as birth trauma. According to statistics, 7 out of every 1,000 infants born sustain some type of injury. There are a few different things that can be the cause of an injury to an infant birth. Here are three of the main causes.
- Dystocia, which is defined simply as a difficult birth.
- The size and weight of a baby can cause a difficult birth especially if the mother is petite.
- A breech birth. Breech births occur when the baby is positioned backward.
Injuries caused during the birthing process are often nonfatal but there are cases of fatal birth injuries. Stanford Children’s Health has in-depth information about birth injuries. The list below will explain just a few.
- Caput succedaneum: This is the swelling of soft tissues of a baby’s scalp. This can happen or develop as the baby travels through the birth canal or through the process of vacuum extraction.
- Bruising OR Forceps Marks: Bruising or forceps marks on the face and head are caused by the trauma of passing through the birth canal. It also happens when forceps are used during the delivery, as well as, vacuum extraction.
- Facial Paralysis: This form of paralysis is caused by the extreme pressure on the baby’s face that damages the facial nerves. It can also be caused by the forceps and vacuum extraction. Sometimes the paralysis is temporary while other times it is permanent.
- Fractures: Fractures of the collarbone or clavicle can happen during a breech birth.
Often times birth injuries are nonfatal and unavoidable. There are those situations where the injury caused during birth was caused due to negligence or malpractice on the medical professional’s behalf. If that is the case it is definitely time to contact a personal injury lawyer in Nashua, New Hampshire.Have You Experienced a Birth Injury?
Aside from the possibility of winning your court case and justice being served. There are many things a lawyer can help you with when dealing with a birth injury.
- Evaluating your case and all aspects of it.
- Investigating the incident to determine fault.
- Most dealing with the insurance company.
- Creating and proving your case.
- Providing legal advice.
When you’re waiting for the arrival of a newborn baby discovering that on the baby’s way into this world, he/she were injured can be devastating and heartbreaking. However, accidents do happen and knowing what to do and who to call can really help you in a time of need.
If you or a loved one are a victim of a birthing injury, you will need access to an experienced lawyer. Contact us or give us a call today at: 603.548.3797.