Picture of Michael Anzalone

Underage Transporting of Alcohol

In New Hampshire, authorities take driving laws extremely seriously.

If you are planning to drink alcohol, the best advice is to never drive. The state also has laws designed to keep motorists from driving with open containers of alcohol in their vehicles.

And as with other driving-related laws, the penalties are even more harsh for anyone under the age of 21.

Law enforcement officers are constantly looking for drivers whom they believe are impaired by either alcohol or drugs.

In New Hampshire, officers are sticklers for the law. And under the laws of the state, it is illegal for anyone to transport alcohol in open containers of any kind in a motor vehicle. Any containers of liquor that are unopened can be stored in the passenger area. But if you have any opened, or capped, bottles of alcohol, they have to be stored in a truck.

The rules are even more stringent for someone who is under the age of 21.

If you’ve been stopped by police officers and are accused of transporting alcohol, you could be in serious legal trouble. The law specifically states that someone under the age of 21 can’t transport alcohol in a car without a parent, legal guardian or spouse in the car. This means that no form of alcohol can be present.

If you are under the age of 21, you should pay careful attention to the laws pertaining to cars and even boats.

That’s why you should immediately call DWI/DUI attorney Michael Anzalone. He and his legal team at The Anzalone Law Firm understand the laws pertaining to driving with open containers of alcohol. They can help you get your life back on track.

What are the Penalties?

If you are under the age of 21, you never want to be arrested on any charge, but certainly not an alcohol charge. The penalties include a $150 fine and a possibility of having your driver’s license suspended for up to 60 days.

A judge may also require you to attend a substance abuse education program. These programs must be approved by the state of New Hampshire. You’ll also have to pick up the costs for this program. An alcohol-related arrest can wind up costing you a tremendous amount of money and time.

If you are caught again transporting alcohol in a vehicle and you are still under 21, you’ll be charged with another violation and fines and you’ll face the possibility of having your driver’s license suspended for up to one year.

If you, or your child, is accused of transporting alcohol in a vehicle in New Hampshire, you’ll need to contact a DWI/DUI lawyer who is experienced in these matters.

The best advice is to follow the law as it pertains to drinking alcohol or transporting it in a motor vehicle.

You can call Michael Anzalone at 603.548.3797 for a free consultation. Or you can fill out this online form to set up an appointment with Michael Anzalone at The Anzalone Law Firm.

Client Reviews
Great lawyer...Professional, organized, caring and effective. Michael is very informative and was always willing to explain the reasons behind what was being done. Can't say enough about how helpful he was every step of the way. It was really nice to feel like I actually understood what was going on with my case. Catherine Veilleux