Picture of Michael Anzalone


If a judge has ordered you to be on probation in New Hampshire, there are a set of rules and regulations that you must follow. You agree to do this and if you for any reason break any one of these rules, you could face serious consequences.

So, if you have broken the terms of your probation, you will need to contact a criminal defense attorney to help you. If you are in New Hampshire, you should call Michael Anzalone of The Anzalone Law Firm.

Once you have been convicted of a crime, the judge in your case will issue a sentence. This may or may not include prison or jail time. It could just be a term of probation. Or you could be ordered to serve probation once you are released from jail.

At any rate, you will have to agree to the terms and abide by them. These rules could include drug testing, counseling, reporting to a probation officer at certain times and travel restrictions. Your probation officer will supervise you during this time and if you fail to follow the rules you could find yourself right back in prison.

That’s something that you don’t want to have happen.

You can read all about probation and the rules of probation in New Hampshire in the state’s statutes, found at RSA 651:2.

One thing to keep in mind is that a probation office can add more rules to the case if he or she deems it necessary.

What Happens if You Break a Rule?

If at some point during your probation period, the probation officer believes that you have broken one of the provisions, he can bring those accusations to the court. At that point, a hearing will be scheduled so a judge can make his determination.

If the judge believes you have broken the provisions of your probation, he or she can impose a

If the probation officer accuses a defendant of violating the rules the defendant will be brought back to court for a hearing.  If the judge finds that there has been a violation, he can impose a sentence which can be up to the maximum sentence that was allowed under the original offense.

Let that sink in for a minute. If you were sentenced for a felony charge that carries a maximum sentence of 3 ½ to 7 years in prison, you can be sent back to prison for that term.

And, there will be no credit for time served.

The best advice your criminal defense lawyer can offer is that you should never break any of the conditions of your probation. But if you do, be prepared for the worst, because that is likely what is coming.

Another thing you need to be aware of is the difference between probation and parole. If you are released from prison and placed on parole, you can be brought back to court for a hearing if you break your parole conditions. If you are found to be in violation, then the parole board will send you back to prison to serve either a portion or the remainder of your sentence. You do, in this case, get credit for every day that was spent on parole with violating the terms of the agreement.

So, if you’ve broken your probation, please contact Michael Anzalone today for a free consultation.

Client Reviews
Great lawyer...Professional, organized, caring and effective. Michael is very informative and was always willing to explain the reasons behind what was being done. Can't say enough about how helpful he was every step of the way. It was really nice to feel like I actually understood what was going on with my case. Catherine Veilleux